Lakewood Forest Fund Inc.
Lakewood Forest Civic Association’s 20th Annual Memorial Scholarship Award
Application deadline is March 21
Your civic association is pleased to announce the continuation of its Scholarship Award program for the Class of 2019 high school seniors who reside in Lakewood Forest. The Scholarship Award program originated as a tribute to our area students involved in a tragic bus crash in 1999.
The Scholarship Award program is primarily essay-based rather than GPA/class rank/academic merit-based or needs-based. This is so every Lakewood Forest graduating senior can qualify and have an equitable opportunity to compete for a scholarship award.
Each year, the individual award amounts and the number of awards granted can vary. Generally, we have awarded from one to four scholarships in amounts ranging from $250 to $1,000. Awards are available for those seniors pursuing technical, associate or undergraduate degrees. The most important factor in our scholarship selection process is the creative essay. Secondary consideration is given to academic achievements, achievements earned outside the classroom, and volunteer/community service. Scholarship entries are scored blindly with the students’ identifying information marked out.
Your scholarship application must be received by 6 PM on Thursday, March 21, 2019. Incomplete or late entries will be discarded.
Please carefully read and submit all the scholarship award requirements:
1. A personal resume that includes all the following:
* Your name, address, phone number, and parents’ names
* Your high school, class rank, and GPA (include scale used)
* Academic achievements
* Achievements earned outside the classroom
* Volunteer and/or community service activities
* Part-time and/or summer jobs you have had
* Your chosen field of study and the school (technical, community college, undergraduate college/university) you plan to attend after high school
* Future goals (life and career)
2. A senior picture or other headshot suitable for publishing in the Civic News newsletter. The picture should be a separate .jpg file and not embedded in any of the documents. If you don’t have a .jpg file, let us know and we’ll make other arrangements.
Note that the picture will not be used in the process of selecting scholarship recipient(s). It is only used with the article announcing the scholarship award recipient(s).
3. A brief biography (about a paragraph in length) that tells the story of you and your family. You should highlight any meaningful events, circumstances or experiences in your life as you would openly share as a short self-introduction.
4. A creative, personal essay of 350 to 500 words on “My Take on Personal Responsibility.” Here are some ideas on which you could build your essay:
* Explain what personal responsibility means to you.
* Is there someone you know who demonstrates a strong sense of personal responsibility? What do they do that shows this?
* How might being personally responsible benefit you in the following aspects of your life: your relationships with family and friends; your performance at school, clubs, or on a job; the way you interact with others on social media?
Describe a situation where you ultimately benefited from being personally responsible. Or, describe a situation where your lack of personal responsibility was a problem and led you to learn from that.
How might a lack of personal responsibility in a community contribute to societal problems? Or, how might more people in the community behaving in a personally responsible way create a better society?
Essays will be evaluated on creativity; how well they speak to your point; correct spelling, grammar, syntax and punctuation; and overall composition. Have fun with your writing!
Scholarship Award applications must be emailed to:
LFCAScholarship@gmail.com – must be received by 6 PM on Thursday, March 21
Important! We do not accept scholarship applications by postal mail; they must be emailed to the address above. Applications must be submitted in Microsoft Word compatible format (.docx) attached to the email. Your resume, biography and essay must be saved in separate Word documents and labeled as such. Don’t forget to also attach your senior picture in a .jpg file.
For questions or further information, please contact the LFCA 2019 Scholarship Committee Chair Michael Lindauer at 281-627-3742 or by email at LFCAscholarship@gmail.com.
Lakewood Forest Fund Inc. - 12415 Louetta Road - Cypress, Texas 77429