Lakewood Forest Fund, Inc.
Your Civic Association is pleased to announce the continuation of its Scholarship Award program for the Class of 2021 high school seniors who reside in Lakewood Forest.
The Scholarship Award program originated as a tribute to our area students who were injured or who died in a tragic nighttime bus crash on December 21, 1999.
The Civic Association’s Scholarship Award program is primarily essay based, rather than GPA/class rank/academic merit based, or needs based. This is so every Lakewood Forest graduating senior can qualify and have an equitable shot at competing for a scholarship award. As the saying goes however, “you’ve got to be in it to win it.” We encourage all Class of 2021 students who live in Lakewood Forest to submit an entry.
Each year the individual award amounts and the number of awards granted can vary. Generally, we have awarded from one to six scholarships in amounts ranging from $250 to $1,000, or more. Scholarship awards are available for those seniors pursuing technical, associate or undergraduate degrees. The most important factor in our scholarship selection process is the creative essay. Secondary consideration is given to academic achievements, achievements earned outside the classroom, and volunteer/community service. Scholarship entries are scored blindly with students’ identifying information marked out.
Your scholarship application must be received by 6:00 PM on Monday, March 22. Incomplete or late entries will be discarded.
Please carefully read and submit all of the Scholarship Award application requirements:
1. A personal resume that includes all of the following –
- Your name, address, phone number, and parents’ names
- Your high school, class rank, and GPA (include scale used, please)
- Academic achievements
- Achievements earned outside the classroom
- Volunteer and/or community service activities
- Part time and/or summer jobs you have had
- Your chosen field of study and the school (technical, community college, undergraduate college/university) you plan to attend after high school
- Future goals (life and career)
2. A senior picture or other headshot suitable for publishing in the Civic News. The picture should be a separate .jpg file and not embedded in any of the documents. If you don’t have it in a .jpg file, let us know and we’ll make other arrangements. Note: the picture will not be used in the process of selecting scholarship recipient(s). It is only used with the article announcing the scholarship award recipient(s).
3. A brief biography (about a paragraph in length) that tells the story of you and your family. You should highlight any meaningful events, circumstances, or experiences in your life as you would openly share as a short self-introduction.
4. A creative, personal essay of 350 to 500 words on “Education and Activities in the Age of COVID-19.”
The coronavirus pandemic has created unprecedented challenges for our society. Everyday life has been disrupted in so many ways, not the least of which has been your educational experience. Describe what you have done during the pandemic restrictions to continue your education and the activities that are important to you. What have you learned about yourself, your family, your friends, and your community during this difficult time?
Essays will be evaluated on creativity, how well they speak to the topic, correct grammar and punctuation marks, and overall composition (just like English class!). Have fun with it.
Scholarship Award applications must be received by 6:00 PM on Monday, March 22.
Applications must be emailed to: LFCAScholarship@gmail.com
IMPORTANT! We do not accept scholarship applications by postal mail; they must be emailed to the address above. Applications must be submitted as MS Word files (.docx) attached to the email. Your Resume, Biography, and Essay must be saved in separate Word documents and labeled as such. Don’t forget to also attach your senior picture or similar in a .jpg file.
For questions or further information, please contact the LFCA 2021 Scholarship Committee Chair Jodi Cole by email to LFCAScholarship@gmail.com.
Lakewood Forest Civic Association's
Memorial Scholarship Award
Applications Due March 22
Serving the Residents of Lakewood Forest